Saajhi Duniya began some decades ago with passionate intervention by a few individuals in the increasing communal situation in the country. For a couple of years it worked without a name or structure. Soon a structured group emerged under the name "Nagrik-Dharma Samaj", and other issues of human rights, especially gender issues, came in the focus of our activities along with the question of communalism. Also, the name "Saajhi Duniya" replaced "Nagrik Dharma Samaj". Although, working for several decades, entirely on our personal resources, Saajhi Duniya got itself registered only in 2004.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Dr. Roop Rekha Verma (Founder & Secretary : Saajhi Duniya)




Dr. Roop Rekha Verma, Ph.D, formerly, the Vice-chancellor, Professor & Head of the Philosophy Department and Dean, Faculty of Arts Lucknow University has taught there from 1964–2003. She has also been a recipient of the Commonwealth Academic Staff Fellowship for Oxford and has had the honor to be invited to deliver lectures and present research papers in various conferences/international seminars at many Indian and foreign Universities.


She is a prolific writer and has published more than four dozen research papers in various books and journals, in India and abroad. Her publications include Philosophy of P.F. Strawson co-edited with Pranab Kumar Sen, published by ICPR in 1995. Her academic interest includes pursuit of Philosophical Logic and Epistemology, Social Philosophy, Philosophy of Mind and Metaphysics. She has been nominated by the government of India as Executive Council Members of Aligarh Muslim University, Mahila Samakhya and in the Academic Committees of NCERT, Bhatkhande Music University and UP Social Welfare Board. Besides, she had occupied higher advisory positions as Honorary Advisor, ICPR and Member of UGC Philosophy panel, thrice. She was also selected as National Lecturer of University Grants Commission. She established the Institute of Women's Studies in Lucknow University and remained its Director since inception in 1997 till 2005.



Professor Verma is a well- known Social Activist also and has intervened in several dozen cases of Violence on Women and Communal Violence, and fought for justice for the victims. She has been awarded Begum Hazrat Mahal Award for Communal Harmony and Life Time Achievement Award in 2006 by Indian Social Science Association. She is the founder Secretary of social organisation called Saajhi Duniya which initially function under the name Nagrik-Dharam Samaj.

She is secretary of Saajhi Duniya, Non Governmental Organization that battles violence against women, advocates for the equal and full participation of women in all efforts, promotes communal harmony and secularism, betterment of Indian educational system, Farmer Issues, etc.

16 comments:

  1. I want to be member of ur team...pls tell me how can it possible ma'am

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello mam today in aiba meeting i got to know abt u and ur views it was verry impressive i want to be a part of ur struggle against women harrasment

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello ma'am, it was great a honour and pleasure for me to see you & to talk with you,
    u & ur thoughts r really impressive, i am looking forward to have this opportunity again.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Madam,
    Its really my Pleasure to see People like you having such a great inspirational values,
    May God Bless you with Great Strength and Health.
    Regards,
    Jyotsana Sharma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw you on Satyamev Jayate; and all I can offer is my deepest regards for your deep understanding about our society, culture, administration and judicial system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to join u mam
    Plz tell mam dr. Rooprekha Verna ji
    Regards
    Khushbu Malhotra
    shallumalhotra21@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. today i was watched your speech in satya mev jayate then i am inspired ... Mam

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an asset with a knowledge and experience of a deep ocean. Keep it up mam ,India needs you in its phase of transition.God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to be member of ur team...pls tell me how can i do......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Dr. Verma,

    I saw you the other day in Satyamev Jayate TV program. I was touched by what you said. I would like to contribute to your cause in my own capacity. I am an IT Expert. If I can be of any use to you in fighting injustice against women or to spread your voice to a wider audience, please do not hesitate to let me know. We need more people to hear you. My email id is banerjee.partha@live.com.

    Best regards

    Partha Banerjee

    ReplyDelete
  11. mem aap jis kisi bhi shakti ko mante ho usise aap ki lambi umar ki prarthna karta hu.

    ReplyDelete
  12. dear ma`am
    i have been a student of Lucknow University. you were my first warden. i recently saw you on television on this show "satya mev jataye ". i really appreciate your work. i was extremely touched by you words on this show . i really want to a part of your "saanjhi duniya" and help in fighting for injustice against women.
    best regards
    Rini Singh

    ReplyDelete
  13. to ma`am
    i tanya singh am a student of Panjab University Chandigarh from dept. of human rights and duties.my special interests, assignments and dissertation is dealing with sexual harassment at workplace and its awareness and laws against them.i want to practice it practically.i am willing to work with you. if i can be of any use to -saanjhi duniya- .please let me know
    my ID is - tanya009singh@gmail.com
    Regards - Tanya Singh

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear mam my name is Ruchi Nigam i am suffering with domestic violence by my sister in law...i was lost my first baby my husband got separate after that but she was not stopped interface and came again in my home snd tried many time to harm my daughter.even when i was born my daughter thy mother daughter not given me 11 day food.i was sufferd a lot my hb was 2.3 few official staff of my husband given me blood to save me .but still i am suffering with all those problems she is torcharing me maintly & and also foing tantric activities i am not safe feeling scared i have already lost my first baby 2nd daughter only 2year old what to do plz suggest. Meri body m itni taaqut nahi hai ki police case k chakkar laga sskon.plz help me out.

    ReplyDelete